Article Definition: The words that come before the noun known as an article. A, an and the are articles.
- She saw the doctor.
- Let’s go to the club.
- The dog is a useful animal.
Note: Bold words are articles.
TYPES OF ARTICLES
1.Indefinite Articles: A or an is known as indefinite articles. Indefinite articles leave indefinite the person or things.
- Twelve inches make a foot.
- One evening a beggar came.
- A tutee should obey his tutor.
Note: Given bold words are indefinite articles.
2.Definite Article: The is known as a definite article. Definite article which points out some particular person or things.
- The horse is a noble animal.
- The darkest cloud has a silver lining.
- The boy cried.
Note: Bold words are definite article.
RULES OF ARTICLES
- Use a before consonant sounds.
- Use an before vowel sounds.
- A university.
- An European.
- An hour.
- Use a or an only with countable nouns.
- A or an is not used before plural words.
- An elephant
- An interesting story,
- An hour.
Note: a or an is not used before uncountable nouns like water, sugar milk, air etc.
- Use a or an to talk about a person or things unknown to your listener.
- Use the to talk about a person or thing known to your listener.
- I planted the trees in my garden.
- Can you open a window?
- Use a or an to talk about nonspecific things or people.
- Do you have a pencil?
- If you are feeling sick, you should go and see a doctor.
- Use a or an to mention the category or type of a person or thing.
- You can use your TV as a laptop monitor.
- Ali’s daughter is an intelligent girl.
- I would like to become a member of your library.
- Generalize with plurals or uncountable noun with no article.
- A teacher should be friendly to her student.
- The dolphin is a very intelligent animal.
- Use no articles before proper nouns n fixed expressions like at work, go to bed, at home, at noon, at night, on Sunday.